Thursday, May 29, 2008

finally a good book

I have not read much in the last two years - probably because I was so busy writing Express Yourself.  Although I love words so much, I guess I needed a break from reading.  Only magazines were okay since they are more about pictures.
I have just begun reading a great book this week. I bought it the day before giving birth.  I usually don't like to buy novels since I never read them twice but after seeing this author on Oprah and reading so many great reviews on different blogs, I decided it was worth the 15$.  I admit feeling a bit guilty that will I easily spend that money for earrings, or for a hair product or a cool belt but I always hesitate for a book.  I find it so strange of me since I like books so much (one of my favourite outings is going to a book store and to browse around with a cup of tea).  But this time, I did not hesitate when I saw Eat, Love and Pray on the book shelf. Gilbert's writing style reminds me of Mayes, who wrote Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Italia - two books that fascinated me.  I am amazed when authors can simply describe their daily activities and make it so interesting to read.  I secretly dream of writing a book one day and I would like it to have that feel : insightful, personal, simple but yet inspiring.

I am happy to say that at 1h20 am or 3h50 am, I have a good companion.

Here are a few sentences I loved to read :
"For years, I'd wish I could speak Italian - a language I find more beautiful that roses."
" I crossed the street to walk into the sunshine."
" She knows all the best place to eat in Rome, including a gelateria that serves frozen rice pudding (and if they don't serve this in heaven, then I really don't want to go there.)"
"His hair was always combed neatly with water"


No comments: