Thursday, July 3, 2008

maybe not trying it out soon

Marianne gave me this book at my baby shower : Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks
sounds great, doesn't it?
I read it three times already but I haven't started the plan yet since it requires a lot of discipline. I am not sure I will be able to follow it.
Writing things down has ALWAYS helped me get things done so let's see if it works again this time...
So the aim is to feed the baby four times a day, always at the same time.  For example, I would like to feed him at 9h00, at 1h00, at 5h00 and then a last time at 9h00, before he goes off to bed.  If he gets hungry before those hours, the aim is to distract the baby.  In the book, the author wrote it three times, in capital letters : DISTRACT, DISTRACT, DISTRACT by :
- offering the pacifier
- placing baby on bouncy seat
- placing baby on activity mat
- bouncing baby on knees and singing to him
- entertaining baby with his favourite games

Once the day schedule is a success, baby should gradually not wake up anymore - but that is the hard part : not feeding him during the night.  The night toolbox consists of :
- offering the pacifier
- patting baby's tummy
- shushing baby
- whispering things like : "everything is fine", "it's all right"
- turn baby into a different position
- giving baby an emotional toy or blankie
- turning his crib music toy

I am happy I just wrote this down.  I realize that by writing it that I am not ready yet to do all these things.  
The day time distractions seem a bit difficult because I am not always home.  If he starts crying at the mall, I can't do most of the suggestions.  And as for the night toolbox, I don't really mind getting up.  I love this time with him.


No comments: