Sunday, April 19, 2009

yes, cakes!

I bought one of Jamie Oliver's recipe books a while ago and I have been dreaming about the last section in his book about cakes and desserts.

I told M last week : I would really like to try all these cakes.
And then he answered : Stop saying it - and just do it! Try them! Do it!
So, it got me going...

I want to celebrate Mat's birthday with many cakes.  I know it is a silly idea but I like it. His birthday theme is not Diego or Baseball : it is CAKES!

When I was growing in Germany, we always had a choice of many cakes for afternoon coffee.
I remember always choosing the dry coffee cake and sometimes something with fresh fruits. These are still my favourite cakes although I also like chocolate cake.

I have never been a great baker since I tend to change the recipes a lot.  I always find there is too much sugar or butter.  But I have learned the hard way (meaning : nobody eating my cakes!) that a cake recipe must not be changed !

So I decided to try a few cake recipes with Nana because she is a great baker and food lover. And because she had the greatest kitchen : a lot of space, a lot of counter, and a great oven!

So this week, we are trying :
- Lemon and Poppy Cake 
- Carrot and Mascarpone 
- Super Chocolate 
- and Cheesecake  

Hope you like them Mat!


1 comment:

missweb said...

I made the cheesecake from this gals blog. If you are finding your cooking feet, you'll love what she offers, especially in the kiddo recipes department! Post pics and recipes! I'm interested to see what you like best!