Wednesday, October 15, 2008

do you remember? will you remember?

I have always been fascinated with perfumes and their bottles.  I counted how many perfumes I have worn in my life and I was close to 30 different ones.  I started wearing perfume when I was in grade six - I bought Ivresse from Lise Watier that my aunt Thérèse wore.  It was subtle...I felt like a grown up even though I was about 11!

Annona has often told me that I was the only person she knew that was so interested in perfumes...

Perfume is wonderful Mat.  There are certain smells that you will never forget.  You will associate delicate smells with the girls you will love....and I hope that you will remember my smell too.

I still associate Eau de Rochas to my mom even though it probably does not exist anymore.  She wore it when I was young.  I could name you all the perfumes she wore.  I still smell her neck all the time to see what she is wearing.  

I can name all the perfumes that my friends have been wearing since I have known them...and I can enumerate the perfumes Lily, Nana and Joanne wear.  

And scents can bring you back to so much more.  They can be related to passions.  When I smell ceramic tiles, I always think of airports down south and it makes me happy.  Fresh cut grass makes me think of summer fun.  The smell of tea makes me think of Annona's mom who showed me how to prepare a great tea pot. Clarins sun lotion reminds me of Luc and all the fun we had together. Parsley makes me think of Oma.  And the list could go on forever...

When flights are delayed I am never that upset -it means I get to spend more time at the duty free perfume section. The new Pharmaprix and Jean Coutu are now even better than before - I try perfumes all the time at the entrance.  M always says : We are not stopping in the perfume section Tan.  Go straight through! 
And so I go back the next day with you ! :)

Perfumes allow you to say : I am here.  It gives you presences.  It redefines you when you need it.  It allow you to start new chapters in your life.  

You already have your first perfume too Mattie - it is a baby perfume that I received from Sharnee, Philippa and Cara.  Some days, I wear it so I can smell like you...

This what I wore when I found out you were in my belly- the title is significant now that I think about it! It smells woody and sexy... The bottle reminds me of Olive in Popeye.
Then, when I was pregnant most perfumes made me feel nauseated - so I went back to a favourite - a simple girlie light smell - it puts Johanne and me instantly in a good mood! I love the bottle so much!

Then I gave birth and was able to go back to another favourite that my brother bought me - it also smells divine and classic.  This is the first real whiff you had of me Mat. 


And now, I needed a change - something new - something different.  I found this new smell that I love so much.  It is sweet but not too strong. I should be going through a few bottles of these. Hope you like it Mat.

No comments: